Friday 7 February 2014

Setting the Alarm Clock

I've been setting the alarm clock when I go to bed every night.....luckily we have an alarm clock with 2 alarms on it.  So I set it....

For 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m.

Because I love sleepless nights and I miss getting up with babies.

Not really.

We have several first calf heifers ready to calve and they need to be watched.  It doesn't take long for a heifer to become in distress and need help calving....and it only takes seconds for that new born calf to 'not make it' because the mother didn't know enough to lick off it's face.

So I've been setting the two alarms....and Terry has been going out to the barn.

The BEEP BEEP BEEP at 1 a.m. is a very rude awakening.

It makes you bolt upright in bed. 

It makes you hit the alarm so hard that it may never work again.

But it does. 

Alarm clocks are hardy.

The other night when that 1 a.m. alarm went off, I not only shut off the 1 a.m. alarm but I shut off the 5 a.m. alarm.

I was still half asleep but I was in distress. 

HOW was I going to get the 5 a.m. alarm turned back on?  

It was black dark....and I'm blind without my glasses.

I begged him to not turn on the light....it would be blinding.
 
I would become doubly blind with no glasses and the bright light.

But I didn't know if alarm #1 or alarm #2 was for 1 a.m.

And I didn't know if alarm #1 or alarm #2 was for 5 a.m.

But I needed to get the 5 a.m. alarm set again.

I was ready to cry....I was just a hopeless, sleepy mess.

But then he said, "Just turn both of the alarms back on."

Genius.

He went to the barn....and I went back to sleep....for a few more hours.

This has gone on for the entire week.

And the heifers have started calving.

But...of course....they calve during the day.

Brenda

4 comments:

  1. Considerate of them I guess... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it though? I don't think we have had any calve yet at night....but for some reason the alarms are still being set.

      Delete
  2. That is a wise husband :)

    It's hard to think straight when you have just woken up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....he is very wise! He's a very quick thinker....and he's great at 'come back' lines! He always has me laughing!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.