Tuesday 22 April 2014

Easter

Easter weekend.

My favourite part?  The Easter Vigil Mass on Saturday night.  The dark church with an alter adorned in Easter lilies....the fire burning outside and then the procession of light.  The Helferty's singing in their angelic voices.  The blessing of the holy water and then the renewal of our baptismal promises.  This Mass is so very powerful.  Alleluia!  Jack served.  Johanna read.  Grady and Terry were ushers.  The girls and I took up the gifts at the last minute...because I noticed that no one else was going to do it.

Then it was home to bed with visions of chocolate eggs in our heads.

All alarms went off at 4 a.m.  It was Johanna and Grady's morning to milk.  They started a part time job back in November at a dairy barn.  They milk cows a couple of times a week after school and then once on the weekend.

I'm not sure who was the first down the stairs....it might have been Sophie.  She came bounding into my room all excited.  The Easter Bunny had come!  I asked her to get in bed with me and try and go back to sleep.  I think she might of....for a few minutes.  But I think she got in and out of the bed a few times....and back downstairs.

The phone rang at 6:30 a.m.....they were ready to be picked up from milking.  Terry went to pick them up....and then the real chocolate eating began.

While I was cooking brunch, Sophie asked me what one L B meant.  I told her that I had no idea...what did it mean?  And she said that she really didn't know....she was hoping that I knew.  I had no idea what she was talking about.  ONE L B?  Then Jack chimed in "It means one pound.  It's written on the package of her chocolate bunny.  Thanks Jack....I should have gotten that one....but I didn't get a chocolate bunny.

I served Easter brunch at 10:30 a.m. and no one was really in the mood to eat.  Lydia said that she thought she was going to puke....and I figured that she had chocolate fever.  I didn't feel so great myself.

By 1:00 p.m., I was thinking that maybe I was coming down with the flu......Terry and the boys were just recovering from it.

But it was a beautiful day and all my siblings and their families were at the camp.  They were boiling the last of the sap and I wanted to join them.




Snacks came out and Lydia ate...she was hungry because she hadn't eaten brunch....because she had eaten too much chocolate.....now she was eating chips!

By 4:00 p.m. both Lydia and I were back home asleep on the couch.

She had "I ate too much junk all day" sore stomach.

I had the flu.

We both missed Easter supper at my Mom and Dad's.

Brenda







2 comments:

  1. There seems to be so much stomach flu going around. Mom and I were down and out Easter Monday. We almost had to stay an extra day in Toronto! Hope you both are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no...not you too Paula! I'm good now...hope you are too!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.